I have to admit that, when cooking, I’m not very adventurous when it comes to flavor combinations. I think that’s why I was so proud of my alterations to this recipe: there are so many flavors that, despite being such a simple food to grab off a platter, the taste ends up being quite complex. Balsamic vinegar and strawberries are actually quite an old combination, but one I still find awfully strange. Basil and strawberries is an even less common combination and one that is shockingly perfect–you’ll have to taste it to believe it. Add in some lemon goat cheese, a good baguette and a crack of fresh pepper over the top and you’re going to have such a crazy and delicious moment going on in your mouth that you’re just not going to know what to do with yourself! You’d never think those flavors would go well together but you’ll find you and your guests reaching for these bruschetta over and over again.
Strawberry Basil Bruschetta with Lemon Goat Cheese
Adapted from Annie’s Eats
Makes 2-3 dozen pieces
- 1 good quality baguette
- 1 lb of strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (4 oz) of lemon goat cheese (or 1 package plain goat cheese combined with zest from half a lemon)
- balsamic vinegar
- handful of whole fresh basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- Up to a few days before or at least a half hour before you need them, slice the strawberries, add them to a large bowl and mix the sugar in until thoroughly combined. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- The day you plan to eat the bruschetta, slice the baguette into slices, cutting at an angle. Toast the baguette slices under your oven’s broiler until golden brown on each side. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When cool, spread a thin layer of lemon goat cheese on each baguette slice, top with a spoonful of strawberries.
- Drizzle a small spoonful of balsamic vinegar over each slice with strawberries on it.
- To cut the basil, lay the leaves flat on top of each other, fold the pile in half and with a sharp knife or with kitchen scissors (I prefer the scissors), cut the basil in to thin strips. Sprinkle the basil strips over the strawberries.
- Crack fresh pepper over the top of each bruschetta and enjoy!